Even though it’s been a little chillier and wet than it should be for this time of year in Philly, I found myself motivating into spring cleaning mode over the weekend. I got really got into it especially yesterday – it was only in the mid-60s most of the day but the sun was shining so we opened all the windows and I made an attempt to purge as much as I could. It felt good!
At the same time, I feel like we come out of winter hibernation and there’s projects to be done all over the place in the house and it’s pretty daunting. I’m trying to take it one step at a time and not let myself get too overwhelmed.
Rather than feeling the need to do it all at once, I’ve set myself up with a list for some daily chores to hopefully have me coming out at the other end of May a lot more organized. Anyone want to do it with me for the month of May as a little May cleaning challenge? I’m starting today but I’m hoping to stick to this until memorial day.
- Unsubscribe from 10 email lists a day – the amount of unnecessary emails I get on a daily basis is out.of.control. Did I even subscribe to half of these? I’m aiming to unsubscribe from 10 a day. I don’t know where that will leave me at the end of the month but here we go…
- Delete 100 emails a day – same thing. I’ve certainly had way worse inboxes in the last few years but at the time of this post, I have 2,169 emails in my inbox. I’m going to aim to delete just 100 additional ones a day (beyond the normal ones I would delete) to try and get that puppy back in control.
- Get at least one garbage baggie full of old clothes to take to Goodwill for each person in the house – I already started purging my own closet and I don’t think getting a full garbage bag for me will be a challenge at all. I’m pretty sure it won’t be with the kids either but we shall see. They have so many clothes they no longer wear and I just need to bite the bullet and spend a weekend afternoon going through it all….
- Clean all the blinds in the house -use some Clorox Wipes or a damp rag! One of those things that needs to get done that we forget to do…
- Wipe down all the baseboards in the house – same as above. A forgotten chore which should be done more often with multiple people and pets in the house!
- Clean the fridge & pantry – I’m embarrassed to admit how long it’s been since I’ve cleaned out the fridge especially! Both will get done in the next few weeks. We’re actually in the market for a new refrigerator so maybe that will be my cop out to getting a clean fridge… 🙂
- Use your dishwasher to wash non-dishes – I read this cool tip somewhere I can’t remember but the gist was to wash things like plastic toys, items like toothbrush holders & more in the dishwasher! I would have never thought to use the dishwasher for anything other than dishes but it’s a great way to clean items that don’t normally get cleaned. I almost think this can be a fun little one – walk around the house and see what could use a hosing down on the gentle cycle and hit each room in the house. I bet you could get a full load!
- Clean your mattress – we do all the sheets all the time, but when is the last time you cleaned off your actual mattress? I am willing to bet a I have a bunch of cat and dog hair all over my mattress. I’m going to run a dust buster over all the mattresses this spring. Both sides!
- Clean out your drawers – and I’m not talking about the stuff that’s IN the drawers but the actual inside of the drawer. Our utensil drawer is the worst. Take all the utensils out and wipe down the inside of the drawers.
- Wipe down all the patio furniture – it’s been a looooong winter and there’s crud all over my chairs! As the weather does warm up, I’m sure we’ll be entertaining more. I’ll be taking an hour to wipe down all the chairs and spruce everything up outside on the deck.
Anyone have their own spring cleaning tips or challenge that they are embarking on? Anyone want to join me? It’s always more motivating to have a friend along for the ride.