Is it cheating on this week’s Pinspiration series if my own pin inspired me? If so, you can call me a big ‘ol cheater this week but technically this works because I remembered an old post I had that I wanted to share and pin last week. It was this Make Your Own Playdough recipe from 2011 – I pinned it and it had me jonesing to try it again and to take a better picture (talk about a blog fail on that old post! Hence my need to re-do and re-pin!)
So before I start – I’m going to tell you that this recipe is SO easy. You probably have just about everything you need from this recipe in your house with maybe the exception of cream of tartar. (Or maybe you do have that in your house because you’re a rock-star foodie who has a pantry full ‘o random spices.)
In either case, here’s what you need.
Total time: 20 minutes
-3 cups of flour
-1 cup of salt
-1 1/2 tablespoons of cream of tartar
-3 cups of water
-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
-food coloring of your choice
1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Choose one color from the food coloring! Adjust the color by doing a drop or two at a time and stirring.
2. Transfer to a large saucepan or pot. Use non-stick but no need to spray it with anything. (You can divide the mix up into two or a few batches if you want different colors. )
3. Cook on medium heat until it becomes tough to stir and seems playdough-like (Took about 5 minutes)
3. Pull it off the burner and let it cool.
4. Give it a few minutes to cool and then put it on the counter, knead for a few minutes and then it’s ready to play with! The kids loved playing with it warm too.
Enjoy! I store it in tupperware containers and it lasts up to 3 months to play with and reuse. This is a great snow day activity so stock up and try it out next time your kids have a snow day. At the rate we’re going this winter, unless you live somewhere tropical, there are more to come!
Pinspiration is a weekly series I do on Tuesdays with 3 other fabulous bloggers. We take one pin we saw that week and recreate it – it can be beauty, a recipe, fitness-related or pretty much just about anything! It gives us an excuse to try something new. We have a linky below where you can join in too – we’d love to have you! Try it next week – what inspires you on Pinterest? Try it! Post about it and let us know how it went!