A box of chocolates – okay.
Flowers – nice.
Two bottles of award-winning California wine – hello! Instead of the usual Mother’s Day fair, mix it up this year with a gift from The California Wine Club. Available in 1 to 12 month gift memberships, get two bottles of hand-selected wine from their Premier Club, Signature Series or try out their International Selections or Aged Cabernet Series. [Keep reading to see two great offers from the California Wine Club!]
A few days ago I received a sample shipment from the Premier Club. Inside was a chilled bottle of 2007 Robledo Lake County Sauvignon Blanc and a 2005 Robledo Los Braceros Sonoma Valley Red Wine. The shipment also included their monthly magazine Uncorked which features interviews, articles and background on the family and winery in the shipment as well as tasting notes, recipes, places to stay or eat by the winery and other wine fun facts. My husband and I tried the Los Braceros Red Wine last night – incredible! The aroma was intoxicating and the wine itself was full of spicy, complex flavors like black currant, ripe plum and a hint of tobacco. I like my wines big and bold and this one fit the bill.
I’ve never belonged to a wine club before but I like the concept of them for four reasons:
– No more buying wine by the label. Come on, you know you do it to. You’re aimlessly wandering through the wine aisle your local grocery store, trying to decide which label you like best. No more! The wine club does the research to select the best vintages and the best varietals.
– The wine comes to you! I usually end up shopping with my three kids in tow which makes it tricky to spend time searching the bottles for a recommendation I heard or deciding which varietal will go best with dinner. Plus, kids + cart + towers of glass bottles always makes me nervous.
– Increase your “wine smarts.” Many times I grab a bottle of wine at the store (often based on a combination of the label, the blurb on the back and the price). I bring it home, drink it with my husband and friends, give it a thumbs up or thumbs down and forget about it. If I lived with a sommelier, he or she might be able to tell them that I should have tried that particular wine with lamb instead of beef, or let it sit open for 30 minutes before I tasted it or tasted it with a certain kind of cheese to bring out the floral notes. The California Wine Club’s magazine Uncorked does just this! Whether you are a novice just starting off or an experienced wine drinker, Uncorked helps you learn about wine while you’re enjoying it.
– Like it? Buy more at a great discount. The California Wine Club offers members up to 60% off on your order of additional bottles of wines you’ve tried and liked. For example, the Robledo Los Braceros red I received retails for $30 (and is available at restaurants for up to $51!), but you can reorder bottles at just $11.99 while they still have them in stock! You can also order half, full and mixed cases of your favorite picks.
Whether it’s for your mother, your mother-in-law or to enjoy yourself, a membership to The California Wine Club makes a great gift for mothers of any age. Plus, it’s the perfect last minute gift for those Saturday night shoppers!
As a special offer for MWS readers, The California Wine Club is offering TWO special deals.
1) GIVEAWAY! A shipment of wine on the house! Simply “like” the California Wine Club’s Facebook page and tell them that MWS sent you. Then come back here and let us know. One winner will received a complimentary shipment of two bottles of wine. Contest only open to those 21 years or older. Comments closed on Wednesday, May 11, 11:59pm. US-residents only and must reside in a state that allows the shipment of wine.
2) DEAL! Sign up for a trial of their Premier Wine Club and receive the the red and the white Robledo (or two of the red or two of the white if you prefer) for only $13 (that’s about 65% off regular membership!). You can stay as a member at the regular rate and choose to have your wines delivered monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly, or if you decide the club isn’t for you, can simply cancel after the first month. Sign up here and use the code “momblog-11” to get your first order for only $13. If you have questions, you can get in touch with Jon (firstname.lastname@example.org) at The California Wine Club who can answer any of your questions.